Course Leader: Mrs C de St Croix
Our intent is to educate the whole person by developing self confidence and awareness of personal strengths - whether they be academic or non academic.
We hope that as a result of following this course students will
- be confident to seek help and support
- be able to work effectively as part of a team
- be confident to stand up and speak in front of a group
- be able to contribute meaningfully in discussions
- have the confidence to solve problems independently
- have developed a range of research skills
- develop emotional literacy skills in self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, social skills and empathy
- be willing to risk new challenges in their learning
- increase their independence in learning and communication
- become positive role models in their communities and work through their words, actions and values
- have aspirations for their next steps in education and work
What is Asdan CoPE?
The Certificate of Personal Effectiveness (CoPE) is a nationally recognised qualification available at Levels 1, 2 and 3. The qualification offers imaginative ways of accrediting young people's activities. It promotes, and allows centres to record a wide range of personal qualities, abilities and achievements of young people, as well as introducing them to new activities and challenges.
Why do we study the Certificate of Personal Effectiveness?
This course focuses on improving students’ soft skills, which are valued in the world of work alongside academic qualifications:
- working with others
- improving own learning and performance
- planning and problem solving
- carrying out research
- communicating through discussion
- oral presentation skills
What do we study?
The CoPE curriculum is found in the student book, which comprises 13 modules. The modules are divided into three sections; section A, B and C.
Each section should take at least 10 hours to complete – 10 hours is worth one credit. Students will need 12 credits to gain the Certificate of Personal Effectiveness.
The module titles are: Communication; Citizenship and community; Sport and leisure; Independent living; The environment; Vocational preparation; Health and fitness; Work-related learning and enterprise; Science and technology; International links; Expressive arts; Beliefs and values; Combined studies (this module allows you to mix and match a combination of challenges from other modules).
Students complete a short period of work experience at the end of Year 10.
How do we study the Certificate of Personal Effectiveness?Students will produce a portfolio of evidence to demonstrate their achievements. Students must also demonstrate competence at Level 1 or 2 in the six CoPE skills units:
- Introduction to Working with Others
- Introduction to Improving own Learning and Performance
- Introduction to Problem Solving
- Planning and Carrying out a Piece of Research
- Communication through Discussion
- Planning and Giving an Oral Presentation
Presentation of work
All work is kept in a neatly ordered portfolio.
Students’ work is on separate pieces of paper and usually word-processed. This portfolio is presented to the ASDAN awarding body at the end of the course for assessment.
Students are given homework regularly. All home learning content is essential learning and needs to be included in the final portfolio.
There are several trips that all students are expected to attend. Students with outside interests can also use the course to pursue these further.
How parents/carers can support their children
Check that home learning is completed on time. Give your child time and space to complete any practical tasks which need to be completed in the home environment. For example life skill tasks such as cooking or carrying out research in the local area.
Students are encouraged to read widely.
Keeping up to date with the news via a daily newspaper or websites such as BBC News.
There is no exam. Assessment is continuous throughout the course. This might be through observation or through the final portfolio of work presented
Careers Leading on from the Certificate of Personal Effectiveness
This course focuses on developing the soft skills that all employers look for in addition to academic qualifications.
To view more information about our school Careers programme please click here.