The history of the Green School for Girls dates from 1796. At this time Isleworth was a small community consisting mainly of market gardens and orchards. There was the Isleworth Flour Mill at Mill Platt, Joseph Shore’s pottery and brewery.
At the end of the eighteenth century Sunday Schools began to be established all over the country. The Rev. William Drake, D.D, started a Sunday School in Isleworth in 1796 and after many changes this became the Green School as we know it today. The object of the school was to provide places for the children of the poor, who were too numerous to be admitted into the existing Isleworth Charity School (founded in the 17thcentury, now known as the Blue School).
Benefactors of the school consist of Elizabeth Lawrence (1794), John Robinson (1802), who was also a benefactor of the Blue School and All Saints Church and John Sermon (1828), who was a church warden at All Saints. The Green School was endowed in 1858 and in 1864 by Charlotte Florentia (1866), Dowager Duchess of Northumberland. History tells us in 1825 she and the Duke were created Ambassadors to the French Court for the coronation of His Majesty Charles X of France and on their return she was appointed governess to Princess Victoria, later the Queen of England. She made many great acts of generosity to the parish. She lived in Syon House and this is how in 1858 she became involved in the Green School. She outlined the rules of the school and provided uniforms and boots for the girls. Portraits and a bust of Charlotte can be found to this day in Syon House.
The first school was in Church Street. The children attended the school on Sundays from nine to ten-thirty, and then went to church, and again in the afternoon from two to three-thirty and then to church again. In 1823 the school became a daily charity school. The earliest known headmistress was Mrs. Sarah Ellen Atkins. The school building was then moved to Park Road in 1859.
The Green School for Girls began as an elementary school but in 1904 the trustees determined to conduct it as a Secondary School for Girls. Henry George seventh Duke of Northumberland, K.G., erected this building and let it to the Trustees for this purpose. It was opened on the 16th January 1906 and the current location of Busch corner. It was originally built on one floor being able to accommodate 120 girls. On July 16th 1934 the new buildings were dedicated by the Right Reverend the Bishop of Kensington and ceremonially opened by Her Grace the Duchess of Northumberland. During the year of 1940 the school suffered bomb damage on 3 separate occasions. In 1951 the rebuilt school was opened and has continued to enlarge.
The school has grown to a five form entry school with a sixth form and has five houses: Beeches; Chestnuts; Elms; Oaks and Willows. In 2013 the school became an Academy and simultaneously The Green School Multi Academy Trust was established. The vision of the Trust was to establish a Church of England School for boys to mirror the successful girls’ school and this vision is came to fruition in September 2017 when The Green School for Boys opens across the road from the girls’ school. The admissions policy gives priority to siblings and so The Green School for Boys now very much becomes part of the history of The Green School for Girls with brothers and sisters attending both schools.
The sense of family and community is well recognised. The Green School for Girls has a thriving Old Girls Association and Alumni. Former students and staff hold the school in great affection. There are annual events held with many former students coming back to give talks to current students.
Further information about the history of The Green School can be found in the book ‘The first 200 years of The Green School Isleworth 1796-1996’ written by Wendy Mott (alumni) 1996.